Monday, August 18, 2008

They Got the Music in Them....













So in an effort to keep my children occupied this summer, we've enrolled them in several summer camps, most of which were inexpensive. The last one that they were signed up for before the start of school was a Musical Summer Day Camp, offered by the Indio Performing Arts Center. First of all, I didn't know Indio HAD a Performing Arts center, but it was $25 for the whole week, and they were there from 9:00 AM to noon, so they were out of the house doing something during that time. I was skeptical when I first walked in because I only saw little kids so I thought my kids might kill me.




It turns out that although it was a little corny, they learned mostly songs from early America, they had a really good time! On Friday, they had a performance for all of the parents - I was amazed at how much they learned in such a short period of time! They learned a square dance, songs, and even how to play some chords on instruments. I wish I had brought the video camera! I did have my camera, but as you can see, some of the pictures didn't come out too well. Excuse the scary glowing eyes - no they're not possessed - I promise! I guess it was just a little too dark in the theater, and I wasn't close enough.



On Saturday, Jamie and James came up with the baby to go look at a venue for their wedding next September. It's a house in Bermuda Dunes - not far from here. The place was huge - and gorgeous - PERFECT for an intimate wedding! As we were leaving, I noticed that the owner of the house, who regularly rents it out for events and celebrity getaways, had a 1972 Chevelle he was working on in the garage. It was beautiful, and reminded me of the 1967 Chevelle my friend had when we were in high school. Of course, since we lived in Connecticut at the time, it had a huge "Fred Flintstone" hole in the floor between the driver and passenger seats. Ah..good times. I told Steve about it, and he told me HE is from Connecticut! Small world...I'm hoping it'll help with my price negotiations!


Tomorrow we are doing an overnight at Sea World in San Diego. This is what the girls in our Girl Scout troop decided to do with their cookie money. We're staying in the Wild Arctic exhibit, although I know some of the girls wanted to stay in the Shark Encounter. It'll be fun. I did it with Caitlyn when she was about 6, and she had a blast. I'll try and have better pictures of that trip!







School starts 2 weeks from tomorrow - whoopee! Thank God I'm done with the back-to-school shopping! I'm going to meet with the Principal and/or the counselor at the school to try and get Jessica's schedule set up so that it makes the transition easier for her. I'm so appreciative that they have agreed to work with us - there are so many students at the school. I'm sure there will be lots to say about school after it starts!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's ridiculous to keep saying it, but the girls are getting so OLD! It's insane.

I just saw pix of your visit last summer. It seems like much longer than a year. Come back to us.