Monday, August 11, 2008

Our First Karate Tournament

We spent all day yesterday driving to, attending, and driving home from the California Summer Nationals Karate Tournament at the LA Fairplex in Pomona. We had the best time! We weren't sure what to expect, so we got there early to figure out where to go, and what time to go.

We got there in time to see one of the boys from our studio sparring - he took second place, and his family was so excited! I think one of the cool things about this studio is that everyone seems like family. They all support each other, and this tournament was no exception.






Jessica's turn wasn't until after 12:30 pm. She ended up going on around 1:00 pm. We had been walking around looking at all of the other color belts doing their thing: weapons, kata and sparring. Jessica said she was nervous, but you would never know it!





Her division was White Belts only - ages 10 - 17. I thought for sure there would be quite a few competitors since the age group was so large. It turned out to be just her and another girl from her class at our studio, Ally. Ally went first...and she did a great job! Jessica was up next, and she ROCKED IT! 'Caitlyn and Curt were so nervous, I'm not even sure they watched her! I was filming it, so I had to watch. I was so proud of her! It was so cute, when she got the first place ticket from the judge, she didn't care that it was just her and Ally - she was so excited, she came running out of the ring, "I got first! I got first!". She got her trophy, and she wouldn't put it down.


I felt kind of bad...I would really love to find something for Caitlyn to do. She didn't seem dejected, or envious of Jessica, but I know she's probably wishing she had something. I had gotten her signed up for a Volleyball Camp this summer with the Palm Desert Volleyball Club, and she did great...she had really wanted to play this year in school. However, I found out on the web site that the School District has decided to get rid of intramural sports at the Middle School level as part of the budget cuts. I'm so upset about it - these kids NEED this kind of stuff! Ah well...I will write a letter, but I'm sure that's all I can do.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jessica looks so adorable. I'm so proud of her.

Fiona went today to the first day of gymnastics camp - it's just four days but I thought it would be a good refresher before she starts her regular class in Sept. She was way behind the other kids in her skills, and I didn't get the opportunity to ask the coaches if she'll be OK in the class (she should be, it says all levels, but...) and also to make sure they were really helping her and taking the time to show her what to do even though she isn't caught up to the others in her group.

Your letter might help. Or maybe the parents could create a separate "club" - that's what we have here in EH for soccer. Like you need something else on your plate - you'd end up running it! LOL.

I wish I could offer you some insight - I see the same thing with my nieces: Lexi (14) seems to have nothing going on, while Kim (9) is involved in everything. I can't tell if it bothers her.

(On a technical note, some of your headings are in light gray so they don't show up with this background you selected.)

Kyle said...

Way to go Jessica!!! How cool! I love your background too. Good for you for keeping your blog going. That stinks about the sports thing. I was hoping Dallin would get involved in something this year through the school. Will they still have sports clubs or anything like that?